Clue number two was released on Wednesday for the Bernat Mystery Afghan. It is not that it took me three days to get my act together and blog about it, rather it’s taken me three days to figure out what I’m doing.
The first thing you may notice is that these squares are the same colour as my first set of squares. Here’s my problem. As I decided to make this a stash buster project, I opted to use the colour I have the most of (in this case, a white) as my main colour. Except that this yarn is of a lower weight than the other yarn I have chosen. For what ever reason, I neglected to notice that at the beginning.
So my gauge for the first clue determined my squares would be 7″ x 7″ rather than 8″ x 8″, which is fine. I grabbed colour #2 and happy made the granny squares necessary. And lo! and behold! My square came out to be 8″ x 8″.
As you can see, I had an issue here. Since this is an afghan with 48 squares it seems the finished product will be 8 squares x 6 squares, and the squares need to be the same size for this to occur.
And so, I pulled out my square, grabbed a 5mm hook and tried again. This time my square was 7.5″ x 7.5″. This still would not do.
I then thought to look at the cause of this – duh – it’s the yarn itself! As I don’t have any other lower weight yarn to go with the white I had chosen, I decided to make a monochromatic afghan, and hope the squares are different enough to make it interesting.
Except that in working up these squares, they measured to 8″ x 8″.
Having enough, I pulled out the last row. Each square is now a row short, but measuring the same as my initial squares.
So now I have four other colours slotted for an afghan I won’t be using. I am still toying with the idea of just picking up a fifth and making a second afghan.
But on to my “wow” moment for this square. I have always had a problem with granny squares in that my joining point was always quite obvious. Like “I just learned to do this three minutes ago and should probably continue this craft while wearing a helmet” obvious. And so I avoided doing granny squares.
This was answered so simply in the instructions itself, I’m astounded I didn’t figure this out sooner. Instead of turning the work at the joining point, Bernat recommended keeping the work with right sides facing, and simply slip stitching along to the next open chain, negating the need for turning. Join, sl st three times, and start your next row. These squares are sooooooo much neater! And since I incorporated the no-turn dc start I learned in the first clue, one can hardly find the join spot.
I tell you, if these wow moments continue with each square, this is going to be a very fruitful afghan.