First off, let me apologize for not posting recipes for the last couple of weeks. I have a few more to share, but I don’t like posting any without photos (which is silly, I know). I haven’t had a chance to bake these things myself, ergo no photos. I will get to it, I promise.
What I have been doing, however is knitting and crocheting. I have finished all of my holiday projects, and they are all gone from the house (before Christmas even!). I was feeling quite smug about this and thought, hey, I might even have time to knit for my in-laws! While I was casting on and got a couple inches into a project I realized that while I might have time to do three more quick knits, I wouldn’t have time to mail it out; nor would I have time to do anything for Nerd Wars this month.
Anyway, once the projects are all received I’ll blog about each one.
But back to Nerd Wars. After finally getting it into my head to move past the holiday projects, I seriously looked at my projects. Here’s what I have done so far:
This is Theodore the Lopsided. And you can clearly see why. I decided to crochet a stuffed bear for my son since he really doesn’t have any stuffies of his own (and enjoys biting the noses of his sister’s stuffies). He worked up *very* quickly, a very easy project. I have him stuffed with fabric, since I really don’t like using batting for baby toys – the little holes from the stitches leaves plenty of open spaces for the stuffing to fall out. If you look at his fact you can see why he’s achieved the “lopsided” title. Mostly because despite all my years of stitching, I can’t embroider. His nose/mouth is considerably crooked, and I have issues sewing on his eyes, too.
You can find the pattern for Theodore here. If you follow my Twitter feed, this is the project that inspired the question about gauge on a non-garment.
I think I’ve finally nailed down exactly how to work up my elf caps in the future, though I think I’ll have to add some more personality to the hat.
This one is too small for my son, but here he is showing off the length anyway.
Finally I had wanted to make a Santa hat, and my inability to a) read gauge and b) know exactly how big a worsted weight is struck again.
I made the Santa hat from Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice. It’s a pretty nice hat, and has some lovely bobble work.
It was obvious my sizing was off fairly close to the beginning, but I thought I would finish it anyway and see how it went. It was significantly too small for Sean, so I thought I would try it on the cat. He didn’t like it much.
So that’s all my finishes for the month so far. The last challenge I’m starting is for something I’ve never done before. So today I’m casting on my first ever socks. Wish me luck!